The 24-hour urine test is done by collecting the urine in the last 24 hours. Testing urine can help doctors diagnose various medical conditions. Changes in any kind of substances in the body such as red or white blood cells, sugar levels, or protein content (excess) is determined by this test. A complete urine analysis gives an insight into any kind of urinary tract infections, kidney diseases and dysfunction and other health conditions.
What is a 24-hour urine protein test?
A 24-hour urine protein test is a test of the urine collected over a period of 24 hours to detect various health conditions in a small special container and sent to the lab for analysis. 24-hour urine protein tests allow the doctor to understand the amount of protein leakage in the urine. But it does not tell the kind and type of protein leaked into the urine. To know that, a doctor will ask for other related blood test.
Why is a 24 hour urine collection done?
A 24-hour urine collection test is done to diagnose any kidney malfunctions or other kidney-related issues. A doctor orders a 24-hour urine test if you have symptoms such as swelling in the hands, feet, ankles or face. Other symptoms such as more or less urination than normal, pressure while urination, urine colour changes, foamy, foggy or bubbly urine or having to get up more than once to urinate at night are other reasons why the test is prescribed.
How to prepare for this test?
- Listen to your healthcare professional’s instructions. Please clarify all doubts.
- If you are asked to stay away from certain food make sure you follow them without fail
- Choose your 24-hour time period for collection such that you avoid transit of urine from one place to another.
- If you are on pregnant or planning for it, keep your health professional informed
- Give the list of all your prescribed medicines, vitamins, supplements, probiotic drinks, herbs to your health care professional
24 hour urine collection process
- Urine is collected in a special container either white or brown in colour. The urine is collected in a special pan that either fits a toilet or the urinal. The collected urine is transferred from the pan to the small collection container and stored in a cool place.
- The 24 hour is accounted for from the time you collect the urine but as a general practice, it is usually recommended to collect it as soon as you wake up in the morning and clear the bladder.
- Flush the first time urination and do not store it. Note the time as the 24-hour time is calculated from here. All urine post the first flush is collected and refrigerate it either on ice or in a refrigerator. Try urinating at the same time post the 24-hour start time you initially noted to complete the process.
- You need to take it to the pathology lab near you as soon as possible after the process is over. If you are doing the process at home, your healthcare professional will give you specific instructions on how and where you should be taking it to.
- You might be asked to repeat the process depending on your health condition
What should you not do during a 24-hour urine collection?
Urine collection is easy and one can do it by themselves. However, certain factors can affect the urine collection process.
- Collecting less urine
- Crossing the 24-hour limit and collecting more urine
- Spilling the collection container by over filling it
- Unable to keep it cold while collecting
- Excess and strenuous exercise regime
- Intake of hot beverages (tea, coffee), citrus, vanilla, and banana
What do the test results mean?
With a fluid intake of 2 litres per day the normal results of urine protein value ranges from 80-100 mg for 24 hours. Some doctors consider a urine value of 150 mg of protein per day to be normal. The average cost of urine test is from Rs. 80-350 depending on the city, quality of the test and availability.
Diseases that can be diagnosed in a 24-hour urine collection are:
- Nephritic syndrome
- Kidney stones
- Polycystic kidney diseases
We, at SRL Diagnostics, have the best team of experts. So, patients and individuals having doubts about various medical problems can get proper information from us. This article is focused on type 2 diabetes, one of the serious health problems people need to know about.
What is Type 2 Diabetes?
Type 2 Diabetes occurs either when the pancreas does not secrete enough insulin (insulin insufficiency) or the body can’t recognize and use the insulin secreted (insulin resistance). This insulin insufficiency or resistance does not allow the glucose (sugar) to enter the cells making them build up in the bloodstream instead. This can damage many areas of the body including heart, blood vessels, kidney, eyes, brain etc.
What is food poisoning?
It is very common to feel unrest in the digestive system because of unhealthy eating habits but food poisoning meaning extends beyond that. Referred to as foodborne illness in medical terminology, food poisoning is a condition in which a person feels uncomfortable including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea after eating toxic, spoiled, contaminated or infected food. In case you or someone in your family falls prey to it, SRL Diagnostics is here to help.
Symptoms of Food poisoning
The extent to which food poisoning affects our body depends on the cause. Most common signs and symptoms of food poisoning are:
What is Plasma Therapy?
Plasma therapy is used for treating several infectious diseases. Convalescent-plasma therapy is a type of therapy in which blood plasma from recovered patients is administered to people who are currently suffering from the same disease. Convalescent-plasma therapy is being used in several clinical trials across the world for the treatment of COVID-19. In the list of countries using plasma therapy for treating coronavirus patients, names like India, UK, USA, etc feature.
What is a Kidney Function Test (KFT)?
The filter of your body, the kidneys filter waste materials and toxic substances out of your blood and other body fluids. Besides filtering, kidneys also aid in balancing the natural salts like sodium, potassium, and acid levels in the body and are vital for the production of RBC (Red Blood Cells), Vitamin D, and blood pressure-regulating hormones. Your doctor might prescribe you to take the Kidney Function Test or KFT or if he/she feels there’s an issues with your kidneys. Also, if you are diabetic, or suffer from hypertension, then also renal tests are prescribed to monitor your health.
Symptoms of Kidney Problems
Here are some common Kidney problem symptoms that are indicative of any underlying issues with the filtration system of your body –
When a group of cancer cells develops in breast tissues, breast cancer occurs. Among the different classes of this disease, Invasive Ductal Carcinoma is the most common form of breast cancer. Its first impression starts from a duct inside the breast, which gradually travels to adjoining tissue. Ductal Carcinoma In S Situ, the earlier form of breast cancer, forms in a milk duct. However, it stays localized in one region with limited movement to other areas of the body. Invasive Lobular Carcinoma is a type that forms in the milk production glands (lobules).
What are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer?
A growth or lump in the breast or armpit is what individuals must look out for. If the breast loses its normal shape, bloody fluid leaks from the nipple; it is suggested to get a thorough check up done as soon as possible. Another common aspect of breast cancer is soreness in the breast or nipple, skin texture changes on the breast including small indentations and red splotches of dry skin. Symptoms also include shortness of breath with yellow-tinged skin along with enlarged lymph nodes in the armpit or bone pain in the neck area.
What is fatigue?
The state of extreme tiredness due to either physical or mental disturbance can be termed as a fatigue. Under fatigue, a person hardly has any motivation or enthusiasm and feels sleepy all the time. It is to be noted that the feeling of tiredness and fatigueness is actually a symptom rather than a disease.
Fatigue is a major symptom of many medical issues that range from mild to severe. Some personal circumstances such as lack of discipline and poor diet are a natural result as well.
While fatigue can be observed every now and then, its root cause is very difficult to estimate. Thus, fatigue is categorised into two different types:
What is Norovirus or winter vomiting bug?
Considered as one of the most common causes for gastroenteritis, Norovirus is a tiny virus that spreads from person to person due to its highly contagious nature. This RNA containing virus is encompassed by a coating of protein in its surroundings. The development of newer types of Norovirus results in the RNA genome present in these viruses. It is the faecal-oral route that is responsible for the transmission of Norovirus infection among human beings.
Around 685,000,000 diseases are witnessed from this virus and 200,000 death cases are also observed. Younger ones under five years of age are highly susceptible to get affected by this virus. Small intestines can be the cradle or the locus site for the propagation of the Norovirus infection.Read More