Home Workout Exercises During Coronavirus Lockdown
Until a few months back, before the novel coronavirus was in our country, many people had excuses for skipping gym routines after getting exhausted at work. But, now that we all are under strict lockdown at our homes and aren’t finding much to do, working out at home has become a central part of our daily routine for many of us. Whether it is to increase workout our immunity and fitness, or to maintain a slim physique during this lockdown or even just to pass the time doing something constructive, we have understood the importance of exercise in our life.
So while you follow the protocol of the lockdown, maintain proper hygiene and social distancing and stay indoors. You can also follow these home workout exercises for Lockdown to keep fit and practice them even when the COVID-19 outbreak is over.
These five routines are sure to exercise your whole body and keep you in good health and shape:
1. Superman Exercise: –
How to do Superman:
In this home workout exercise,
- Lie down flat on your stomach on a mat with your arms extended overhead so that your palms face each other and your legs are extended at a distance. Rest your head down on the mat to align it with your spine.
- After settling down in the above position comfortably, exhale deeply and raise both of your legs and arms a few inches off the floor. Extend both your arms and legs without any rotation. Hold on to this position for three seconds and do not move your head or torso, and try not to raise your head or back.
- After three seconds, gently breathe in and lower down both your hands and legs to their former position without moving your hips or lower back.
- Once you finish this routine a certain number of times, you must take on a child’s pose to stretch your back out safely.
Holding on to the raised position for at least two to five seconds, you should do this back exercise in three sets of 12.
The superman home workout exercise is suitable for beginners and can be done easily.
Lower back, hips, shoulders, abs, glutes and hamstring muscles are involved in this exercise.
No equipment required.
2. Biceps Workout: – Chin-Ups
How to do Chin-Ups:
In this primary biceps home workout,
- You need a strongly fixed steel/iron bar or a rod above you to hold onto while doing chin-ups. Stand facing the rod and put your palms on it. Keep a shoulder-width distance between your hands.
- Now keeping your arms vertically straight, lift up, hanging from the rod. Keep your arms and shoulders extremely tight and rigid in order to hold on to the grip.
- After lifting yourself, pull your body up slowly till your chin is over the iron bar by using your elbow joint as a lever.
- Be in this chin-up position for at least 5 seconds and then lower your body down in a controlled manner to its starting position.
You must do three sets of chin-ups with 8 to 12 pull ups in each set with a gap of 90-120 seconds between each set.
Chin-up is a beginner’s level biceps exercise.
This biceps home workout involves lateral, deltoid and bicep muscles.
Doing the chin-up workout at home requires only a pull-up bar.
3. Burpees Exercises: –
How to do Burpees Exercises:
In burpees exercises,
- You start with a standing position, after which you jump up from the floor and then immediately squat down in such a way that your thighs are parallel to the floor. After this your palms, chest and knees should be touching the floor just like in push-ups.
- While being in the above position, kick your feet backwards as far as you can while you keep your arms extended.
After this you need to do the positions in reverse to complete one burpee.
Seven minutes of burpees is good for a beginner, in which the average person will be able to do about 20 burpees. In the advanced stage, five minutes is enough as you will be able to do 40 burpees easily because of enhanced speed and practice.
Burpees exercises are good for those who have some experience with working out .
Glutes, hamstrings, triceps, core, calves and chest muscles are involved while performing burpees.
No equipment is required to do burpees.
4. Resistance Bands for Shoulder External Rotation
How to do shoulder external rotation exercise using resistance bands:
In shoulder external rotation resistance bands exercise,
- You should stand straight and bend your elbows towards your side, close to your body so that both palms face each other. Place a mini resistance band around your wrists and stretch it by moving your forearms out to the side.
- Simultaneously, rotate your palms so that the band faces up once it is stretched out.
- Once you are done with this, go back to the starting position.
During this stretch and rotation of the palms, you must hold for 30 seconds and then be relaxed for 30 seconds. The resistance bands exercise should be done in 2 sets of 8 times each.
If you are a beginner, this exercise is easy to start with.
Shoulder external rotation helps you strengthen your shoulder muscles and upper back and makes you more flexible.
A small resistance band is the only thing you need to perform this exercise.
5. Chest Workout: – Push-Ups
How to do push-ups in a right way:
When you are doing push-ups at home,
- You start by kneeling on an exercise mat or on the floor, placing your feet together behind you. Place your palms on the floor/mat by slowly bending forward, keeping your hands shoulder-width apart and fingers facing forward.
- Shift your body weight forward to position your shoulders directly over your hands, without bending your hips or knees. This shift should be such that it aligns your head with your spine and legs, forming a straight line. Your feet must be joined, with toes pointing towards your shins.
- Now, gently lower down your body towards the floor till your chest or chin touches the ground/mat without disturbing your head and spine alignment. Here, you must lower your body till your arms reach a 90-degree bend. Remember not to move your hips or lower back upwards in this stage. You can, however, move your elbows outwards when lowering your body.
- Stiffly press your palms on the ground to slowly push yourself upwards using the strength of your arms, while keeping the head and spine alignment intact. You must continue pressing your palms till your arms extend completely at the elbows. After this, you should be back to the original
Doing 3 sets of 30 push-ups as a home workout is considered appropriate for any healthy person. But, if you are a health freak or pro at push-ups, doing 200-300 push-ups will be a child’s play for you.
Push-up is an intermediate level chest workout.
In this home workout, chest, arms and shoulders are extensively exercised.
To do this chest workout at home, no equipment is required.
So now that you have a list of some very easy workouts to do at home, what are you waiting for? Stay home, stay safe and stay fit during this quarantine with these easy at-home exercises.