The ESR test (with ESR full form – Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate), determines the rate at which RBCs (Red Blood Cells) descend into a standardized tube. It is a relatively simple and inexpensive test that is done to detect inflammation, that may be caused by infection or autoimmune diseases.
What does ESR test mean?
ESR test means measuring the time needed by the red blood cells to settle at the bottom of a blood sample. Although ESR blood test cannot determine any disease of its own accord, it confirms the absence or presence of inflammatory activity in the body.
Taking an ESR blood test is an integral part of any routine health check-up, as it determines inflammatory activity in the body. Along with other tests that check for various medical conditions, conditions like infection, cancer or autoimmune disease can be determined with ESR.
The procedure of ESR tests
The procedure of ESR test includes drawing a little amount of blood from your vein and sending it to the lab. The lab technicians transfer the blood into a vertical test tube and record the time needed to settle the blood at the bottom of the tube and get separated from the blood plasma. The amount of plasma at the top after one hour will be the result of the test.
Results of ESR tests
If you have an inflammatory activity in the body, the blood plasma will settle on top of the tube at a rapid rate. The ESR blood test indirectly calculates the amount of proteins in your blood, an excess of which leads to faster accumulation of RBCs.
Normal ESR test results
ESR test results are measured in millimeters per hour (mm/hr). The following are considered ESR normal range value in men, women and children according to their age:
- Women under age 50 should have an ESR between 0 to 20 mm/hr.
- Men under age 50 should have an ESR between 0 to 15 mm/hr.
- Women over age 50 should have an ESR between 0 to 30 mm/hr.
- Men over age 50 should have an ESR between 0 to 20 mm/hr.
- Children should have an ESR between 0 to 10 mm/hr.The higher the number, the higher the likelihood of inflammation.
No. higher than the above values are considered as high esr range value.
Risks of ESR
There are many illnesses when accompanied by ESR may lead to serious health issues. Few of them are categorized below:
- Low ESR level: If you have a low esr level, there is a chance you might suffer from Sickle Cell Anaemia, Leukaemia, Congestive heart failure, or a very high white blood cell count.
- Moderately elevated ESR: People having this value of ESR may be suffering from thyroid disease, kidney disease, some forms of cancer, bone infection, heart infection, etc. To reduce the risk of your health deteriorating, look out for ESR test lab near you and seek the necessary tests and treatment.
- Extremely elevated results: This condition of high esr range may be due to multiple myeloma, white blood cell cancer, temporal arthritis, etc. All these tests are needed to be done as soon as the doctor suggests it.
Cost of ESR Test
The ESR blood test price is affordable and economical and the ESR test cost ranges between ₹160 – ₹800 in every cities in India. There is no prior preparation required for the diagnosis. If your physician suggests getting a test done, you should visit SRL Diagnostics‘ website and book the ESR Test online for home collection in your city.