Knee pain: An overview:
Your knee is a significant joint that supports your lower body, especially your legs. You may face knee pain at any age; as it can occur due to a variety of reasons. It is vitally important to implement remedies as soon as you notice knee pain symptoms. Some knee pain home remedies prove to be helpful. Depending upon the diagnosis from an expert doctor, physiotherapy or surgical treatment may be necessary for knee pain relief.
There are several knee pain reasons as your knee joint pain can be caused to any part of the knee. The significant knee pain causes include irregularities in the knee joints such as femur, tibia, and fibula. Again, the problem may persist with the kneecap, tendons, ligaments, or meniscus.
Following are the major knee pain causes:
- Knee Injuries: An injury to any internal part of the knee, including ligaments, cartilage, and the sacs; causes knee problems.
1.) An injury to any of the four anterior cruciate ligaments that join your thigh bone with the shinbone is a common cause of knee problems among sports-persons.
2) Fractures on the kneecap due to accidents or falls and weakness of these bones due to other medical conditions also cause knee joint pain.
3) Sudden twists on your knee may cause rupture of meniscus acting as a suspension element, leading to knee pain.
4) Inflammation in the sacs due to some knee injury causes unwanted friction and leads to sudden knee pain too.
5) Inflammation in tendons joining the muscles with the bones also causes knee pain.
- Mechanical issues: Another important cause of knee pain can be various mechanical issues such as degeneration of bone leading to breakage of cartilage, tightness in iliotibial band, dislocation of the kneecap, pain in your foot or hip and so on.
- Various types of arthritis: There are several types of arthritis; such as gout, septic arthritis, pseudogout, rheumatoid arthritis, and osteoarthritis that causes significant knee pain.
- Other issues: A sudden knee pain is generally found in athletes. This is pain between the kneecap and the thighbone. Any dislocation or issues with tracking of kneecap also causes knee pain.
Tests for knee pain:
The experts carry out the following tests to determine the severity of your knee joint pain:
- X-Ray: This is a common imaging test to determine the bone fractures and find the causes of knee pain symptoms.
- Ultrasound: Real-time images of soft tissues are taken keeping your knee in different positions.
- CT Scan: This imaging test takes internal cross-sectional images to diagnose knee problems such as bone issues and fractures.
- MRI: In this test, the experts use radio waves and magnets to obtain 3D images of the internal portion of your knee. This test provides thorough know-how about the causes of knee pain after running and other related issues.
- Laboratory analysis: Lab test of your blood and the fluid from within your knee might be necessary in case of inflammation or internal infection.
The experts decide and execute the line of treatment, depending upon the cause and acuteness of your knee joint pain. The focus would be to reduce knee pain syndromes and a thorough knee pain relief with a multi-dimensional approach.
Medication: The doctors prescribe medicines for knee pain relief and internal corrections to treat underlying medical conditions.
Physiotherapy: The experts design your exercise schedule to correct your body movements, strengthen the muscles around your knee, improving flexibility, and gaining stability. This can be an effective knee joint pain treatment.
Injections: Depending upon the nature of your injury and pain, sometimes doctors inject medications such as Hyaluronic acid to increase mobility; Corticosteroids for relief from arthritis; PRP for strains and internal injuries.
Surgical treatment: The expert surgeons also recommend and execute surgeries for arthritis, partial and/or total knee replacement.
Many knee pain home remedies help you overcome knee joint pain. You can try suitable remedies at home if your pain is sustainable. Again, it is essential to consult your doctor before choosing the right remedy for you.
- Strengthening exercises
- Keeping proper body posture and support
- Massage therapy
- Heat and Cold
- Tai Chi
- Compression and Elevation and so on.
It is advisable to rely on the experts for these knee pain home remedies. You can study every solution in detail before adapting one for yourself. We hope that our suggestions will help you select a suitable knee joint pain treatment and help you get rid of your knee pain in the long run.