We, at SRL Diagnostics, have the best team of experts. So, patients and individuals having doubts about various medical problems can get proper information from us. This article is focused on type 2 diabetes, one of the serious health problems people need to know about.
What is Type 2 Diabetes?
Type 2 Diabetes occurs either when the pancreas does not secrete enough insulin (insulin insufficiency) or the body can’t recognize and use the insulin secreted (insulin resistance). This insulin insufficiency or resistance does not allow the glucose (sugar) to enter the cells making them build up in the bloodstream instead. This can damage many areas of the body including heart, blood vessels, kidney, eyes, brain etc.
Type 2 diabetes is one of those diseases that stays with a person for a lifetime. It keeps the body from using insulin the way it should use it. This creates an imbalance and to keep it maintained, a person has to keep taking medication. This type of diabetes is also called type 2 diabetes mellitus.
People in the middle-age groups are more prone to having type 2 diabetes mellitus. This is also the reason why some doctors call it adult-onset diabetes. It doesn’t mean that teenagers are safe from it; as teenagers who are obese can also get this type of diabetes.
What are the Most Common Signs & Symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes?
Below are the early signs of type 2 diabetes people need to pay high attention:
- A problem in eye-sight (Blurred vision)
- Numb hands or feet
- Repeated Yeast Infections
- Weight loss without workout or anything else
- Frequent urge to drink water
- A dark patch (or band) of skin on the back of neck, armpit, groin, or elsewhere (acanthosis nigricans)
- Frequent urination
- Frequent hunger pangs
These are signs that people should pay attention to for clarifying their health condition for type 2 diabetes. It is better to look for early signs of type 2 diabetes so that treatment can start as soon as possible. Remember, prevention is better than cure!
What Causes Diabetes Type 2?
Below are type 2 diabetes causes:
- One of the primary type 2 diabetes causes is the genes a person has in his/her body. The genes that leads to diabetes runs in the family. However, it manifests mainly due to poor lifestyle choices—eating a poor diet, not exercising etc.
- Obesity or gaining extra weight.
- High blood pressure
- High blood triglyceride(fat) levels
- Gestational diabetes or giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
- High-fat and carbohydrate diet
- High alcohol intake
- Sedentary lifestyle
What Foods Cause Type 2 Diabetes?
Below are foods that increase the risk of type 2 diabetes:
1. Red/Processed Meat
2. Saturated and Trans Fat
3. Sweetened Drinks/Beverages
4. Pasta/Rice/White Bread (High consumption of processed, carbohydrates)
So, it is important to stay away or control desires for such foods that increase the risk of type 2 diabetes.
What Foods to Eat in Type 2 Diabetes?
It is essential to pay attention to foods for diabetes patients. A diabetes diet mainly consists of eating the healthiest foods in moderate amounts and sticking to regular mealtimes. A diabetes diet is a healthy-eating plan that’s naturally rich in nutrients and low in fat and calories. Key elements are fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
What is the Treatment for Diabetes Type 2?
Patients who are suffering from this disease need medication or type 2 diabetes treatment, but there can also be some changes in their lifestyle that can aid them. The below-mentioned factors can help to improve type 2 diabetes:
- Losing weight
- Eating healthy food
- Working out regularly
- Keeping a check on the blood sugar level
- Avoiding junk food and soda containing high sugar level drinks
Remember that a healthy lifestyle is the secret of a long and good life.